Tenant Resources and Eviction Protection

Important things to know as a Tenant:

  • A landlord can never change the locks, cut utilities, or remove your belongings without a court order and a Sheriff present.
  • If a landlord attempts to physically evict you without a court order, you can call the Police non-emergency number at 301-279-8000.
  • If you have received a judgment against you or a "red and white" eviction notice from the Sheriff, please call 311 or 240-777-0311 for assistance.
  • For more information as a renter on how to work with your landlord and additional information on how to avoid eviction in Montgomery County, please access the following links: 
  • All utility companies must notify customers 45 days before services are terminated. Also, these companies are required by law to offer a payment plan. 
  • For questions or if you need help paying your utilities, call the county at 311 or apply for utility assistance with LEDC at 202-688-5786. 
  • For additional utility assistance, contact the Department of Energy & Environment at (202) 535-2600 and apply here.
  • A landlord can increase rent but must have given a written 90-day notice. 

Landlord-tenant court. Please read these updates carefully:

  • ALWAYS GO TO COURT. Failure to appear may result in a default eviction order. Bring all documentation with you, INCLUDING PROOF THAT YOU WERE OUT OF WORK BECAUSE OF THE COVID-19 EMERGENCY.
  • Call 311 (240-777-0311) and ask for Housing Stabilization Services . 
  • If you have a current hearing notice from the District Court, a Court Judgement, or a notice from the Sheriff's office for eviction call LEDC at 202-688-5786. Review your options.   
  • If you already applied for rental assistance, send an update about court status to get priority. Send an email to: [email protected]with your rent application case number and a copy or photo of your court summons or judgment (or red-and-white notice on your door). If you applied for Rent Relief assistance, send an email to [email protected] with your rent application case number and a copy of the eviction decision or notice. The rent relief application will qualify for priority on the basis of facing eviction. You may also call LEDC to have one of our counselors help you update your court status at 202-688-5786. 
  • If you are able to pay the amount owed you can give that payment to your landlord and they must accept it and cancel the eviction process if rent is brought current.  
  • Remember that you cannot be forced to leave your apartment without a court order and the presence of the Sheriff. If you have questions about a notice from your landlord, call 311 (240-777-0311), Office of Landlord-Tenant Affairs. 


Tenant Right’s and Resources Webinar:


Recursos y Derechos Para Inquilinos: 


If you have a housing issue and need legal advice during this time, below are some FREE and CONFIDENTIAL resources:

Montgomery County Residents:

  • LEDC Housing Hotline: (202) 540-7438
  • Montgomery County Pro Bono Program: (301) 424-7651
  • Montgomery County Legal Aid: (240) 314-0373

All Maryland

  • Maryland District Court Self-Help Center: (410) 260-1392)
  • Public Justice Center: (410) 625-9409

Baltimore City and County

  • LEDC Counselors: (410) 929-2894 and (410) 634-7655
  • Baltimore County – Pro Bono Resource Center (410) 834-9379
  • Baltimore City – Civil Justice Center (410) 625-9409

For updated information and links to the Courts and other organizations, go to:

  • English: www.peoples-law.org