Are you interested in buying your first home? With rigorous preparation and financial assistance, you can become a homeowner.
LEDC housing counselors offer courses, one-on-one counseling sessions, and group seminars in English and Spanish that will equip you with the knowledge you need to buy your first home in the District of Columbia, Maryland, or Northern Virginia.
In addition to providing information on how to embark on each step of the home-buying process and obtain a smart mortgage loan, our housing counselors will help you understand how your credit, personal budgeting, and personal finances impact your future success.
LEDC’s housing counselors help clients apply for down payment assistance programs such as DC’s Home Purchase Assistance Program (HPAP) that offers up to $202,000 in support. The program has helped thousands of individuals and families to build assets and invest in their communities.
CHECK-UP FOR FIRST-TIME HOMEBUYERS: ARE YOU READY?
1) What's your credit score?
- 400-630: You are not ready yet. But we can help you - contact a housing counselor at 202-540-7401.
- 640-750: You could be ready to buy your first home!
2) How much do you have in savings?
- Less than $500: You are not ready yet but we can help you. Contact a housing counselor at 202-540-7401.
- More than $500: You could be ready to buy your first home!
3) Have you been working for the past two years?
- Yes: You could be ready to buy your first home!
- No: You are not ready yet but we can help you. Contact a housing counselor at 202-540-7401.