Position: Small Business Coach – Washington DC
Are you passionate about supporting minority and immigrant small business owners? Do you know how to take a business idea to the next level? Do you want to make a difference in your local community?
Since 1991, the Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) has helped thousands of small business owners in the Greater D.C. and Baltimore area realize the full business potential of their ideas. We do this by equipping them with practical business advice and financial tools. Our mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low-to-moderate income Latinos and other underserved individuals by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities.
LEDC’s Small Business team is seeking a motivated individual with a good understanding of business functions and strong communication skills in English and Spanish. This individual will report to the Program Manager of Small Business Development and will provide one-on-one advising sessions and group training to small business owners.
This full-time role is located in our DC office.
LEDC is looking for someone who loves solving problems for small business owners and can share progress and results through compelling stories and data. The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and is able to work independently.
- Provide one-on-one advising to aspiring and existing small businesses to help improve their core business skills and navigate the licensing/registration process.
- Plan and develop group training that provides small business owners with the tools and skills needed to be successful.
- Conduct community outreach to build a client base of small business owners for one-on-one advising and group training.
- Recruit and manage expert consultants and volunteers that can provide in-depth assistance to small business owners.
- Capture client data through intake forms, maintain accurate client records and collaborate with Program Manager to meet program goals and benchmarks.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for funders.
- Conduct ongoing research about business tools and resources, news that might affect the DC entrepreneurial ecosystem, business licensing and small business development opportunities.
- Connect clients with other LEDC services and available resources from LEDC partners.
- 1-2 years of small business experience with a strong understanding of business functions such as licensing/registration, operations, financial management, and marketing.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to build trust with small business clients.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including minorities and immigrants.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Ability to multi-task, coordinate several projects simultaneously and prioritize deadlines.
- Bachelors in Business Administration or related field.
- Strong computer skills (Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Social Media, Communication tools).
- Experience running a small business.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
- LEDC offers competitive benefits, including a healthcare plan and 4 weeks of vacation and a budget for professional development.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Omar Velasco, Program Manager of Small Business Development at email@example.com.
LEDC is an equal opportunity employer; and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.