Job Title: Small Business Coach & Loan Officer VA
FLSA Status: Exempt Position
Last Revision Date: June 11, 2020
LEDC Synopsis: The Latino Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) community development corporation founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other underserved DC, MD, VA, and Puerto Rico area residents by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. We serve everyone who comes through our doors regardless of race and ethnicity. LEDC is a certified US Treasury Department Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), a US SBA Micro-Lending Intermediary and Community Advantage Lender, a USDA Lending Intermediary, and a HUD-certified housing counseling agency. It is our main program areas, through which we thread financial capability, are: small business development (including women’s entrepreneurship), micro-lending, homeownership counseling, and affordable housing preservation.
- Provide one-on-one advising to aspiring and existing small business owners to help improve their core business skills.
- Help clients navigate the licensing/registration process to start, expand, close, or sell a business.
- Plan and develop group training sessions that provide small business owners with the tools and skills needed to be successful.
- Conduct ongoing research about business tools and resources, news that might affect Virginia’s entrepreneurial ecosystem, business licensing, and small business development opportunities.
- Help the organization generate a constant inflow of new lending clients
- Underwrite small business loan transactions, including business plan reviewing, financial analysis and due diligence
- Prepare credit analysis and recommend memos for review and approval
- Verify feasibility and structure of proposed loan and the character, capacity, collateral and cash flow of the borrowers
- Assist our portfolio management team in working with clients whose loans are past due and/or their business is showing signs of trouble
- Conduct community outreach to build a strong network of partners and service providers to offer a comprehensive assistance to LEDC’s clients
- Capture client data through intake forms, maintain accurate client records, and collaborate with Program Manager to meet program goals and benchmarks.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for internal and external use.
- Connect clients with other LEDC services and available resources in Virginia.
- Promote LEDC services in different platforms, forums, and events as needed.
- Bachelor's in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or related field.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Strong understanding of business functions such as licensing/registration, operations, financial management, and marketing.
- Experience developing business plans and financial projections.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to build trust with small business clients.
- Ability to multi-task, coordinate several projects simultaneously and prioritize deadlines.
- Strong computer skills (Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Social Media, Communication tools).
- Experience running a small business.
- Experience helping clients develop their ideas into a formal business.
- Experience working with diverse population, including minorities.
- Knowledge of basic business accounting.
- Knowledge of federal regulations pertaining to small businesses
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Omar Velasco, Small Business Development Program Manager at email@example.com.