Job Title: Small Business Coach/Liaison - Montgomery County
FLSA Status: Exempt Position
LEDC Synopsis: The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) community development corporation founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other D.C. area residents by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities.
LEDC’s small business group assists low-to-moderate income entrepreneurs acquire the skills and knowledge to successfully open and grow their businesses, including assistance obtaining licenses and permits, marketing, recordkeeping, and business planning. Our clients range from small start-ups to established restaurants with multiple employees and locations. LEDC is also a US Treasury certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and a Small Business Administration (SBA) Microloan Intermediary and Community Advantage lender. LEDC suite of financial products range from $500 to $250,000, ranging from consumer credit building loans to small business capital transactions. Although this role is intended to work within Montgomery County, the program’s footprint covers over 20 counties in the region and soon will be expanding to Puerto Rico.
LEDC is seeking a Small Business Coach/Liaison to support its Business Resilience team. The Business Resilience team provides on-site individualized technical assistance to existing businesses in Montgomery County (MoCo). Currently, the work is concentrated in the Wheaton, Long Branch, and Silver Spring areas. The primary client base is businesses facing the financial and/or operational challenges arising from construction and redevelopment projects.
Coaching will include assisting businesses with strategic planning, client retention, and improving operations. The liaison portion of the job will include mitigating communications between the different stakeholders; county, developers and business owners.
This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The Small Business Coach/Liaison is expected to complete additional tasks as assigned.
Essential Job Duties/ Responsibilities:
- Conduct outreach in targeted business corridors
- Assist small business clients in determining and supporting their technical assistance needs
- Capture client information through intake forms, maintain accurate client records through data entry and work with Program Manager to track progress on goals
- Provide one on one technical assistance
- Ability to generate and manage external consultant engagements
- Demonstrated ability to relate and communicate with people from a broad range of socio-economic backgrounds, formal education levels, cultures, etc.
- Available to work occasional nights and weekends, as needed
- Excellent verbal and written skills
- Self-motivated team player
- Ability to handle a heavy caseload, in an optimistic manner
Education and Experience Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in business preferred
- One on one small business coaching experience preferred
- Experience providing small business technical assistance and/or training preferred
- Bilingual (written and verbal) in English and Spanish
- Experience running or working for a small business a bonus
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Available to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Experience and/or familiarity with small business financial management and marketing strategies
- Understanding of small business development as a tool for community-based economic development
- Excellent organizational skills with high attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Self-starter able to work with limited supervision
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people from a broad range of socio-economic backgrounds, formal education levels, cultures, etc.
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary depending on experience and qualifications.
- Benefits are competitive and include a healthcare plan with zero employee contribution, 10 observed holidays, and 4 weeks of vacation per year.
To apply, send a cover letter, resume to Project Manager Richard Cisneros, at Rcisneros@ledcmetro.org. No phone calls, please.
To learn more about LEDC visit www.ledcmetro.org.
LEDC is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or sexual orientation.