Job Title: Small Business Coach & Liaison, DC
FLSA Status: Exempt Position
Last Revision Date: February 5, 2020
LEDC Synopsis: The Latino Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) community development corporation founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low to moderate income Latinos and other underserved DC, MD, VA, and Puerto Rico area residents by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. We serve everyone who comes through our doors regardless of race and ethnicity. LEDC is a certified US Treasury Department Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), a US SBA Micro-Lending Intermediary and Community Advantage Lender, a USDA Lending Intermediary, and a HUD-certified housing counseling agency.
LEDC’s Small Business team is seeking a motivated individual with a good understanding of business functions and strong communication skills. This individual will report to the program manager of Small Business Development and will provide one-on-one advising sessions and group training to small business owners and entrepreneurs.
This full-time role is located in our DC office.
LEDC is looking for someone who loves solving problems for small business owners and can share progress and results through compelling stories and data. The ideal candidate will thrive in an entrepreneurial environment and is able to work independently.
- Provide one-on-one advising to aspiring and existing small businesses to help improve their core business skills.
- Help clients navigate the licensing/registration process to start and expand their businesses.
- Plan and develop group trainings that provide small business owners with the tools and skills needed to be successful.
- Conduct community outreach in designated business corridors to build a client base of small business owners for one-on-one advising and group trainings.
- Recruit and manage expert consultants that can provide in-depth assistance to small business owners.
- Create a pipeline of clients in need of financial literacy, computer literacy and credit building loans.
- Capture client data through intake forms, maintain accurate client records and collaborate with Program Manager to meet program goals and benchmarks.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly reports for funders.
- Conduct ongoing research about business tools and resources, news that might affect the DC entrepreneurial ecosystem, business licensing, and small business development opportunities.
- Connect clients with other LEDC services and available resources from LEDC partners.
- Strong understanding of business functions such as licensing/registration, operations, financial management and marketing.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to build trust with small business clients.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Ability to multi-task, coordinate several projects simultaneously and prioritize deadlines.
- Bachelor’s in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or related field.
- Strong computer skills (Spreadsheets, Power Point, Social Media, Communication tools).
- Experience running a small business.
- At least one year of small business coaching/advising experience with a strong understanding of business functions is desirable.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including minorities and immigrants.
- Knowledge of licensing/registration, operations, financial management, and marketing is desirable.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
- LEDC offers competitive benefits, including a healthcare plan, 4 weeks of vacation and a budget for professional development.
How to Apply
Please send a cover letter and resume to Omar Velasco, Program Manager of Small Business Development at firstname.lastname@example.org.
To learn more about LEDC, visit www.ledcmetro.org