Job Title: Small Business Coach, Baltimore
FLSA Status: Exempt Position
LEDC Synopsis: The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) community development corporation founded in 1991. LEDC’s goal is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other underserved communities in DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Puerto Rico by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities.
Position Summary: LEDC is seeking candidates for our Small Business Coach position based in Baltimore, MD. Qualified candidates must possess a diverse set of skills, including experience with diverse populations and small business development, and must be ready to work alongside a highly motivated team.
LEDC’s Small Business Department assists low- to moderate-income entrepreneurs to acquire the skills and knowledge to successfully open and grow their businesses, including assistance obtaining licenses and permits, marketing, record-keeping, and business planning. Our clients range from small start-ups to established businesses with multiple employees and locations. LEDC is certified by the US Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and by the Small Business Administration (SBA) as a Microloan Intermediary and a Community Advantage Lender. LEDC’s loans range from $500 to $250,000, ranging from consumer credit-building loans to small business microloans and larger capital transactions. Although this role is intended to work within Baltimore, LEDC’s footprint covers over 20 counties in the Baltimore-Washington region and Puerto Rico.
- Provide one-on-one advising to aspiring and existing small business owners to help improve their core business skills.
- Assist clients in applying to grants and other resources available for small businesses and their employees.
- Identify key problems that clients are unaware their business are facing.
- Underwrite credit building loan applications and provide one-on-one financial literacy to clients
- Help clients navigate the licensing/registration process to start, expand, close, or sell a business.
- Plan and develop training sessions that provide small business coaches with the tools and skills to serve clients successfully.
- Plan and develop group training sessions that provide small business owners with the tools and skills needed to be successful.
- Conduct community outreach to build a strong network of partners and service providers to offer comprehensive assistance to LEDC’s clients
- Recruit and manage expert consultants, contractors or volunteers that can provide in-depth technical assistance or required services to small business owners.
- Capture client data through intake forms, maintain accurate client records, and collaborate with Program Manager to meet program goals and benchmarks.
- Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly reports for internal and external use.
- Conduct ongoing research about business tools and resources, news that might affect the DC entrepreneurial ecosystem, business licensing, and small business development opportunities.
- Connect clients with other LEDC services and available resources in the DMV.
- Promote LEDC services in different platforms, forums, and events as needed.
- Collaborate with Program Manager in the programmatic planning and execution of SBD programs
- At least 2 years of small business experience with a strong understanding of business functions such as licensing/registration, operations, financial management, and marketing.
- Experience helping clients turn their ideas into a formal business.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including minorities and immigrants.
- In-depth knowledge of industries such as construction, child development, cleaning, cosmetology and restaurant/catering (preferred).
- Experience developing business plans, financials, and educating entrepreneurs on access to capital.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to build trust with small business clients.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Ability to multi-task, coordinate several projects simultaneously and prioritize deadlines.
- Bachelor's in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or related field.
- Strong computer skills (Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Social Media, Communication tools).
- Experience running a small business.
- Certified financial counselor
- Knowledge of basic business accounting.
- Knowledge of federal regulations pertaining to small businesses
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience, qualifications, and salary history
- Benefits compensation currently includes a healthcare plan with ZERO employee contribution, 10 observed holidays, and 4 weeks of vacation per year.
LEDC is an equal opportunity employer; and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
Applicant must be authorized to work in the United States.
Please send resume and cover letter to Karla Posada at email@example.com.