LEDC Synopsis: The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) community development corporation founded in 1991. LEDC's mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low to moderate income Latinos and other underserved communities by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. LEDC's main office is in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC, and has branch offices in Wheaton, MD; Baltimore, MD; Arlington, VA; and Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
Position Summary: LEDC is looking for a professional to serve as a Small Business Coach in Baltimore, Maryland. The individual will provide and facilitate coaching and technical assistance to existing small business clients, as well as develop a portfolio of new clients interested in LEDC’s services.
- Provide one-on-one advising to aspiring and existing small business owners to help improve their core business skills.
- Identify key problems that clients are unaware their business is facing.
- Underwrite credit building loan applications and provide one-on-one financial literacy to clients.
- Help clients navigate the licensing/registration process to start, expand, close, or sell a business.
- Plan and develop group training sessions that provide small business owners with the tools and skills needed to be successful.
- Conduct community outreach to build a strong network of partners and service providers to offer comprehensive assistance to LEDC’s clients.
- Recruit and manage expert consultants, contractors, or volunteers that can provide in-depth technical assistance or required services to small business owners.
- Capture client data through intake forms, maintain accurate client records and collaborate with Program Manager to meet program goals and benchmarks.
- Prepare and submit monthly and quarterly reports for internal and external use.
- Conduct ongoing research about business tools and resources, news that might affect the DC entrepreneurial ecosystem, business licensing, and small business development opportunities.
- Connect clients with other LEDC services and available resources in the DMV.
- Promote LEDC services in different platforms, forums, and events as needed.
- Collaborate with Program Manager in the programmatic planning and execution of SBD programs
- At least 2 years of small business experience with a strong understanding of business functions such as licensing/registration, operations, financial management, and marketing.
- Experience helping clients turn their ideas into a formal business.
- Experience working with diverse populations, including minorities and immigrants.
- In-depth knowledge of industries such as construction, child development, cleaning, cosmetology, and restaurant/catering.
- Experience developing business plans, financials, and educating entrepreneurs on access to capital.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, with the ability to build trust with small business clients.
- Bilingual in English and Spanish.
- Ability to multi-task, coordinate several projects simultaneously, and prioritize deadlines.
- Bachelors in Business Administration, Economics, Finance, or related field.
- Strong computer skills (Spreadsheets, PowerPoint, Social Media, Communication tools).
- Experience running a small business.
- Certified financial counselor.
- Knowledge of basic business accounting.
- Knowledge of federal regulations pertaining to small businesses.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Omar Velasco at [email protected]
LEDC is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. In accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, LEDC takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. LEDC also participates in E-Verify