Latino Economic Development Center
The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a non-profit, tax-exempt (501(c) (3) status) community development organization founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other D.C. area residents by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. It achieves its mission through small business development and lending, homeownership counseling, and affordable housing preservation. LEDC’s main office is in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington DC, and we have branch offices in Wheaton, MD; Baltimore, MD; Arlington, VA; Herndon, VA; Puerto Rico.
The Human Resources Manager will serve the staff of LEDC by providing general employee support; recruitment and hiring support; payroll; implementation of employee benefit programs; management of LEDC’s annual performance review processes; and secure and confidential record maintenance; guide managers in employee relations. They will succeed by providing the best possible customer service to LEDC staff with specific expertise in Human Resources regulations and processes.
General Employee and Management/Leadership Support
- Routinely respond to and assist with the resolution of employee inquiries
- Communicate with employees regarding organizational policies and benefits
- Handle employee complaints or concerns using the appropriate protocol, documentation, and verification
- Work with internal partners (staff, management, leadership team) to coordinate on personnel matters
- Provide counseling, mediating, negotiating, and solutions for employee relations
- Oversee all disciplinary action, including maintaining appropriate documentation and verification
- Lead internal communications on H.R. matters or changes to staff
Recruitment and Hiring Support
- Assist with recruiting processes, including maintenance and update of job descriptions and postings
- Source, screen, and assist with interviewing candidates for open positions---with mindfulness for ensuring diversity, equity, and inclusion across all of LEDC’s hiring practices
- Conduct reference checks
- Extend job offers
- Prepare and update new hire orientation presentations and assist with new hire orientation sessions
- Conduct new employee on-boarding and orientation
- Maintain and improve employee benefits programs, including medical, life and disability insurance, and retirement
- Manage broker relationships, annual benefits review, benefits package renewals, and open-enrollment H.R. Systems
- Educate employees on benefits; provide and produce appropriate paperwork for benefits enrollment, termination, and changes; conduct periodic benefits training sessions with employees
Performance Reviews and Talent Retention
- Support staff in implementing LEDC’s performance review processes
- Assist staff in taking advantage of LEDC’s generous professional development funds to further their professional growth at LEDC
- Identify external training that would be helpful for emerging leaders within LEDC (technical or management training)
- Enact programs and practices that engage, inspire, and recognize staff in partnership with leadership
- Conduct exit interviews and consolidate information from said interviews to inform the leadership of any trends
Record Maintenance and Procedural Upkeep
- Keep files updated to include initial offer letters, performance reviews, performance improvement plans, and/or documentation of salary increases
- Review and update Employee Handbook to ensure that it reflects legal requirements and best practices in the field. Also, ensure that Employee Handbook reflects needed updates for changing times (e.g., social media, etc.)
- Maintain and update employee files and databases and prepare and process employee benefits paperwork.
- Maintain personnel files and record retention and destruction compliance.
- Evaluate and further develop systems for tracking absences, sick leave, terminations, extending job offers, setting salary structures, and maximizing retention of high–performing employees.
- Respond to requests for references from future employers of LEDC staff
- Checking timesheets for accuracy
- Entering data into databases and spreadsheets
- Handling direct deposit requests and data
- Processing paper checks for distribution
- Acquiring all necessary signatures to distribute payroll
- Processing wage garnishments
- Making adjustments in pay for raises, bonuses, and commission
Customer Service Qualities
- Ability to maintain the highest level of confidentiality, impartiality, and objective judgment in interactions with people
- Capacity to build trust across all levels of the organization
- Possessing tact and diplomacy at a professional level to deal with sensitive information and issues
- Good negotiation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated customer services commitment
- Maintains an open door policy and accessible manner
- Other relevant duties that will arise as assigned by leadership
- Strong time management skills with the ability to plan, coordinate, organize, prioritize and simultaneously implement multiple projects.
- Ability to speak, write and read in English and Spanish
- At least five years of previous Human Resources experience
- Proficiency in M.S. Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook, and PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of ADP or similar payroll platforms
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills as well as outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Experience handling confidential information with a high level of discretion
- A HIGH level of motivation, initiative, and attention to detail demonstrated by the proactive inclination to take on projects without being asked.
- A friendly, collegial personality with compulsive integrity and a well-conditioned sense of humor
- Interest in and commitment to LEDC’s mission of working with low income, immigrant community
- Salary range is commensurate with experience plus full benefits and generous vacation.
- Exempt position.
LEDC is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. In accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, LEDC takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. LEDC also participates in E-Verify.