The Latino Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) is a non-profit, tax-exempt (501(c) (3) status) community development organization founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other D.C. area residents by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. It achieves its mission through small business development and lending, homeownership counseling and affordable housing preservation. LEDC’s main office is in the Shaw neighborhood of Washington DC, and we have branch offices in Wheaton, MD; Baltimore, MD; Arlington, VA; and Herndon, VA.
The Human Resources Manager will serve the staff of LEDC by providing general employee support; recruitment and hiring support; implementation of employee benefit programs; management of LEDC’s quarterly performance review processes; and secure and confidential record maintenance. She/he will succeed by providing the best possible customer service to LEDC staff with specific expertise in Human Resources regulations and processes.
General Employee and Management/Leadership Support
- Routinely respond to and assist with the resolution of employee inquiries
- Communicate with employees regarding organizational policies and benefits
- Handle employee complaints or concerns using the appropriate protocol, documentation, and verification
- Work with internal partners (staff, management, leadership team) to coordinate on personnel matters
- Provide counseling, mediating, negotiating, and solutions for employee relations
- Oversee all disciplinary action including maintaining appropriate documentation and verification
- Lead internal communications on HR matters or changes to staff
Recruitment and Hiring Support
- Assist with recruiting processes, including maintenance and update of job descriptions and postings
- Source, screen, and assist with interviewing candidates for open positions---with mindfulness for ensuring diversity, equity, and inclusion across all of LEDC’s hiring practices
- Conduct reference checks
- Extend job offers
- Prepare and update orientation of new employees’ presentations and assist with new hire orientation sessions
- Conduct new employee on-boarding and orientation
- Maintain and improve employee benefits programs including medical, life and disability insurance, and retirement
- Manage broker relationships, annual benefits review, benefits package renewals, and open-enrollment HR Systems
- Educate employees on benefits; provide and produce appropriate paperwork for benefits enrollment, termination, and changes; conduct periodic benefits training sessions with employees
Performance Reviews and Talent Retention
- Support staff in implementing LEDC’s quarterly performance review processes (2 in-depth biannual reviews plus 2 less formal progress check-ins)
- Assist staff in taking advantage of LEDC’s generous professional development funds to further their professional growth at LEDC
- Identify external training that would be helpful for emerging leaders within LEDC (technical or management training)
- Enact programs and practices that engage, inspire, and recognize staff in partnership with leadership
- Conduct exit interviews and consolidate information from said interviews to inform leadership of any trends
Record Maintenance and Procedural Upkeep
- Keep files updated to include initial offer letters, performance reviews, performance improvement plans, and/or documentation of salary increases
- Review and update Employee Handbook to ensure that it reflects legal requirements and best practices in the field. Also ensure that Employee Handbook reflects needed updates for changing times (e.g. social media, etc.)
- Maintain and update employee files and databases and prepare and process employee benefits paperwork.
- Maintain personnel files and record retention and destruction compliance.
- Evaluate and further develop systems for tracking absences, sick leave, terminations, extending job offers, setting salary structures, and maximizing retention of high –performing employees.
- Respond to requests for references from future employers of LEDC staff
Customer Service Qualities
- Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality, impartiality and objective judgment in interactions with people
- Capacity to build trust across all levels of the organization
- Possessing tact and diplomacy at a professional level to deal with sensitive information and issues
- Good negotiation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated customer services commitment
- Maintains an open door policy and accessible manner
- Other relevant duties that will arise as assigned by leadership
- Strong time management skills with ability to plan, coordinate, organize, prioritize and simultaneously implement multiple projects.
- Ability to speak, write and read in English (preference is for someone bilingual in English and Spanish)
- At least 5 years of previous Human Resources experience
- Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills as well as outstanding verbal and written communication skills
- Experience handling confidential information with high level of discretion
- A HIGH level of motivation, initiative and attention to detail demonstrated by the proactive inclination to take on projects without being asked.
- A friendly, collegial personality with compulsive integrity and a well-conditioned sense of humor
- Interest in and commitment to LEDC’s mission of working with low-income, immigrant community
- Salary range is commensurate with experience plus full benefits and generous vacation.
- Exempt position.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Marla Bilonick, Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
LEDC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer; women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.