Job Title: DC Small Business Loan Officer and Underwriter
FLSA Status: Exempt Position
LEDC Synopsis: The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a private, non-profit 501(c)(3) community development corporation founded in 1991. LEDC’s goal is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other underserved communities in DC, Maryland, Virginia, and Puerto Rico by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities
Position Summary: LEDC is seeking candidates for our Loan Officer and Underwriter position based in Washington, DC. Qualified candidates must possess a diverse set of skills, including experience with diverse populations and small business development, and must be ready to work alongside a highly motivated team.
LEDC’s Small Business Department assists low- to moderate-income entrepreneurs to acquire the skills and knowledge to successfully open and grow their businesses, including assistance obtaining licenses and permits, marketing, record-keeping, and business planning. Our clients range from small start-ups to established businesses with multiple employees and locations. LEDC is certified by the US Treasury as a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) and by the Small Business Administration (SBA) as a Microloan Intermediary and a Community Advantage Lender. LEDC’s loans range from $500 to $250,000, ranging from consumer credit-building loans to small business microloans and larger capital transactions. Although this role is intended to work within the DC metropolitan area, LEDC’s footprint covers over 20 counties in the Baltimore-Washington region and Puerto Rico.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Help the organization generate a constant inflow of new lending clients into the pipeline
- Underwrite small business loan transactions by reviewing business plans, financial analysis, and due diligence
- Prepare credit analysis and recommend memos for review and approval
- Verify feasibility and structure of proposed loans and the character, capacity, collateral, and cash flow of the borrowers
- Assist our portfolio management team in working with clients whose loans are past due and/or whose businesses are showing signs of trouble
- Develop and maintain relationships with individuals and organizations with strong community ties that are consistent with LEDC's mission. These organizations may include, but are not limited to, credit unions, banks, certified development companies, chambers of commerce, governmental agencies, etc.
- Maintain close customer contact to ensure continued satisfaction and to follow or anticipate additional financing needs
- Monitor and report changes in credit quality
- Ensure that LEDC is in possession of current financial information and that proper and complete credit files are on hand.
- Participate in promoting LEDC products and services at different functions
Education and Experience Qualifications Required:
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration, Accounting or Finance (preferred)
- Experience with a commercial lender is a plus
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Proficient computer skills using Microsoft Word, Excel, Power Point and Outlook
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
- Demonstrated commitment to working with low-income communities
- Hands-on experience working with small business owners is a plus
- Available to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Experience and/or familiarity with small business financial management and marketing
- Understanding of small business development as a tool for community-based economic development
Salary and Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience, qualifications, and salary history
- Benefits compensation currently includes a healthcare plan with ZERO employee contribution, 10 observed holidays, and 4 weeks of vacation per year.
LEDC is an equal opportunity employer; and does not discriminate based on race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, or sexual orientation.
Applicant must be authorized to work in the United States.
Please send resume and cover letter to Emi Reyes at email@example.com.
Job Type: Full-time
- Mortgage: 2 years (Preferred)
- Lending: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor's (Preferred)
- One location
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Vision insurance
- Retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Flexible schedule
- Professional development assistance
- Temporarily due to COVID-19