The Latino Economic Development Center’s (LEDC) mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low to moderate-income Latinos and other underserved communities by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. LEDC is a fast-paced, dynamic, and growing organization that fulfills its mission through small business development and lending, homeownership counseling, affordable housing preservation, and direct community investments. The organization’s main office is in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC, and has branch offices in Wheaton, MD; Baltimore, MD; Arlington, VA; and Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
LEDC is seeking a Communications Coordinator with solid writing, administrative, organizational, and communication skills. In this role, the individual will support multiple programs simultaneously by strengthening their outreach, marketing, and social media endeavors. This position includes a mix of in-person and remote work, and some in-person activities might consist of highly attended events when necessary.
This staff member will be responsible for the following activities:
- Participate in in-house program marketing committee meetings and support their client outreach needs.
- Develop/draft graphics and materials as requested by different programs, including e-newsletters, social media, press releases, blogs, and website updates in English and Spanish.
- Monitor email, social media, and digital communications. Ensure all incoming inquiries from our digital platforms are answered or forwarded to the corresponding program when vital.
- Assist with coordinating annual reports, including scheduling interviews and transcribing them for the annual report.
- Program talent and support in the overall production/marketing of Econo-Mía, LEDC’s podcast/vodcast.
- Maintain relationships with journalists and other press members; update and sustain our media database.
- Document individual & institutional donors; and upkeep donor information in Nationbuilder and Constant Contact.
- Preserve all communication records in corresponding drives for easy posterity access and reorganize these records as needed.
- Draft and track thank you letters to donors/funders and annual appeals.
- Assist with the coordination, organizing, planning, and convening of organizational events; and
- Support with other fundraising tasks as assigned.
Applicants should be interested in pursuing a career that addresses economic inequality in the United States. At LEDC, we welcome a strong passion for advocating for the communities we serve.
A bachelor’s degree in a field that lends itself to writing and communications (i.e., Communications, English, Journalism, Creative Writing, Marketing) or a related field is required. Previous experience (approx. 1-3 years), including internships in fundraising, research/evaluation, graphic design, communications, or marketing, is preferred.
This individual must have:
- Fluency in English and Spanish is a must. Strong translation skills in both languages are highly regarded for this role
- Exceptional writing and interpersonal communication skills
- The ability to self-start and problem solve in a fast-paced work environment
- Superior time management and organizational skills; proven experience meeting deadlines and adjusting to changes professionally and in a polite manner
- Strong attention to detail and editing skills
- Knowledge of email marketing software such as Constant Contact or a similar program
- Working knowledge of HTML and reading source codes is fundamental for this role
- Previous experience with Nationbuilder, Canva, and Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Working knowledge of AP Style
- Ability to function independently and as an active team member
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule with minimum supervision is also required. Occasional participation in evening and weekend events is expected; and
- Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity
Salary and Benefits
Salary is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
LEDC offers competitive benefits, including a healthcare plan and three (3) weeks of vacation per year.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and two writing samples (one in Spanish and one in English) to Sofia Iszard, [email protected], with the subject line “Communications Coordinator Position.”
LEDC is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. In accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, LEDC takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. LEDC also participates in E-Verify.