The Latino Economic Development Center’s (LEDC) mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low to moderate income Latinos and other underserved communities by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. LEDC is a fast-paced, dynamic, and growing organization that achieves its mission through small business development and lending, homeownership counseling, affordable housing preservation, and direct community investments. The organization’s main office is in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington, DC, and has branch offices in Wheaton, MD; Baltimore, MD; Arlington, VA; and Mayagüez, Puerto Rico.
LEDC is seeking a Communications Associate with strong writing, organizational, and communication skills. This individual will assist with LEDC’s communications, marketing, and social media efforts. This position will be a mix of in-person and remote work. This staff member will be responsible for the following activities:
- Draft marketing and communications material, including e-newsletters, social media, press releases, and website updates;
- Assist with coordination of annual reports, including identifying clients, conducting, and transcribing interviews;
- Support with the production and marketing of Econo-Mía, LEDC’s new podcast/vodcast;
- Participate in in-house program marketing committee meetings and support their client outreach needs;
- Work with graphic design intern to develop graphics for program materials;
- Document individual and institutional donors and keep donor information up-to-date in Nationbuilder and Constant Contact;
- Draft and track thank you letters to donors/funders and annual appeals;
- Assist with the coordination, organizing, planning, and convening of organizational events; and
- Support with other fundraising tasks as assigned.
Applicants should have an interest in pursuing a career that addresses economic inequality in the United States. A BA degree in a field that lends itself to writing and communications (i.e., Communications, English, Journalism, Creative Writing) or a related field is required. Previous experience (approx. 1-2 years), including internships, in communications, marketing, or fundraising field is preferred.
This individual must have:
- The ability to self-start and problem solve in a fast-paced work environment;
- Excellent proven writing, analytical, and verbal communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail and editing skills;
- Strong knowledge of AP Style;
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to meet deadlines;
- Ability to function independently and as an active team member;
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule with minimum supervision is also required. Occasional participation in evening and weekend events is expected; and
- Manage sensitive and confidential information with integrity.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is negotiable depending on experience and qualifications.
LEDC offers competitive benefits, including a healthcare plan and 4 weeks of vacation per year.
To apply, please email a resume, cover letter, and writing sample to Monica Martinez, [email protected], with the subject line “Communications Associate Position.”
LEDC is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. In accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, LEDC takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. LEDC also participates in E-Verify.