Job Title: Bilingual Housing Counselor, MD
Last Revision Date: February 5, 2020
Working families deserve to live in affordable homes and own successful small businesses, but too many are unable to turn those dreams into a reality. The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) equips Latinos and other underserved communities in DC, MD, VA, and Puerto Rico with the skills and financial tools to create a better future for their families and communities. Participants in our programs learn how to buy and stay in their homes, join with their neighbors to keep their rental housing affordable, and start or expand small businesses.
Housing Counseling Program Overview:
LEDC is a HUD-certified housing counseling agency that helps families in the Metropolitan area, and Baltimore to buy their first home and save their homes from foreclosure. LEDC accomplishes these goals by providing financial capability education and counseling, first time homebuyers group education and individual counseling, and providing foreclosure counseling and technical assistance.
LEDC seeks a Bilingual Housing Counselor for its Maryland office. The Housing Counselor will provide group training and direct housing counseling to LEDC clients around the home purchase process, financial capability, rental counseling, foreclosure prevention, and first time homebuyers programs available in the Metropolitan area and Baltimore. The Housing Counselor is required to work one day a week from 11:00 AM to 7:00 PM, and at least one Saturday per month.
The counselor will be responsible for the following:
- Provide housing counseling to support clients in meeting their housing goals including budgeting, establishing or improving credit, pre-purchase, foreclosure prevention, and post-purchase education.
- Analyze and discuss clients’ financial capacity to buy a home and create financial action plans with clients.
- Provide technical assistance related to housing counseling such as submitting and tracking paperwork for first-time homebuyer programs or foreclosure prevention.
- Document and track data related to housing counseling services utilizing Counselor Max and other applicable tools.
- Conduct group workshops and presentations on home purchase, foreclosure prevention and financial capability.
- Conduct community outreach for housing counseling services.
- Assist in completion of reports for assigned programs in a timely and efficient manner.
- Participate in the housing counseling and foreclosure prevention efforts in the Estate of Maryland.
- Attend trainings as needed for continuing education as a Certified Housing Counselor.
- LEDC has a strong preference for an experienced, certified housing counselor.
- Bachelor’s Degree.
- Energetic and detail-oriented team player with a deep commitment to high-quality housing counseling and service delivery.
- At least two years of previous housing counseling experience.
- Ability to work well with others, be a good listener, and think creatively.
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office as well as CounselorMax or another database platform.
- Flexible work schedule, including ability to work nights and Saturdays.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English).
This is a full-time, 40 hours/week position that requires some nights and Saturday hours.
Salary and Benefits:
Negotiable based on experience, plus full benefits and generous vacation.
How to Apply:
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Walda Yon at email@example.com. No phone calls, please.
LEDC is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer; women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.