Future Baltimore is a flagship partnership for West Baltimore and the result of the innovative and equity-focused collaboration between Bon Secours Community Works, Kaiser Permanente, and the Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC). We have joined forces to help improve the socio-economic conditions in the area by launching a business accelerator.
Named Small Business Accelerator, the program includes an intensive and accelerating series of coursework, one-on-one business advice, and financing options to help local entrepreneurs achieve greater financial potential and business growth.
Our goal is to position up to ten local businesses for long-term growth and profitability through intense individualized technical support provided by industry experts.
Currently, this program is not enrolling participants but we are providing one-on-one technical assistance and other programs in Baltimore.
- A tailored and proven curriculum designed to grow businesses; See curriculum
- Up to 25 hours of consulting services by industry experts in fields including legal, marketing, sales, accounting, website development, merchandising, social media, finance, procurement and HR;
- Personal and business network expansion through relationships within the cohort; and
- $2500 Credit Building Loan at 0% interest and Access to a Network of Small Business Lenders.
*Additional requirements may apply
- Businesses operating in eligible neighborhoods* View Map
- Businesses with hiring potential in the 21223-zip code or eligible neighborhoods
- Minority-owned businesses in the 21223-zip code or eligible neighborhoods
- At least 2 years in operation
- Businesses meeting the above criteria with less than $1 million in annual revenue
*Eligible neighborhoods include:
Fayette Street Outreach, Boyd-Booth, Franklin Square, Forest Park/Walbrook, Greater Mondawmin, Penn North/Reservoir Hill, Upton/Druid Heights, Sandtown-Winchester/Harlem Park, Greater Rosemont, Edmondson Village, Southwest Baltimore, Poppleton/The Terraces/Hollins Market, Washington Village/Pigtown, Downtown/Seton Hill
This program is delivered at no cost for participating businesses thanks to Kaiser Permanente and Bon Secour's generous contributions.
Module I: Access to Capital and Personal Finances
- Personal and Business Credit Building
- Debt Management, personal and business
- Grant-based resources and business loans
- Other sources of funding (angel investors, crowdfunding, bootstrapping)
Module 2: Rethinking Your Business Model
- Diversify and/or expand product/service portfolio
- Adjust the business model to new market trends (apps, online service)
- Business Resources Online (consumer databases, industry reports)
- Strategic business partnering and network associations
Module 3: Financial Management
- Understanding Financial Statements for decision making
- Profit & Loss, Balance Sheet
- Cash Flow
- Debt management.
- Budgeting and Expense forecasting
- Price structure, costs evaluation, and promotional/discount strategies
- Break-even analysis
Module 4: Strategic Marketing
- Product Mix
- Online/Offline Marketing
- Promotional strategies
Module 5: Legal and Operational Fundamentals for Your Business
- Operational agreement
- Employment agreements (e.g. Employee ownership)
- Lease contract negotiation
- Systematizing and digitizing your business (invoices, bookkeeping, payroll)