The Latino Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) is a non-profit, tax-exempt (501(c) (3) status) community development organization founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to serve as a catalyst that drives the economic and social advancement of low - to moderate-income Latinos and other underserved communities by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence, acquire business and personal assets, create generational wealth, and become leaders in their communities. It achieves its mission through small business development and lending, homeownership counseling and affordable housing preservation, and direct community investments. LEDC’s main office is in the Columbia Heights neighborhood of Washington DC, and we have branch offices in White Oak, MD; Baltimore, MD; Arlington, VA; Puerto Rico.
The Director of Human Resources will serve on the executive leadership team of the organization and report directly to the Executive Director/CEO. This position is responsible for deploying organization policies, directing, and coordinating human resources activities, such as employment, compensation, labor relations, benefits, training, and employee services. This position will oversee our Human Resources Manager.
General Employee and Management/Leadership Support:
• Routinely respond to and assist with the resolution of employee inquiries
• Communicate with employees regarding organizational policies and benefits
• Handle employee complaints or concerns using the appropriate protocol, documentation, and verification
• Work with internal partners (staff, management, leadership team) to coordinate on personnel matters
• Lead internal communications on HR matters or changes to staff
• Develops and maintains a human resources system that meets top management information needs.
• Writes and delivers presentations to corporate officers or government officials regarding human resources policies and practices.
• Consults legal counsel to ensure that policies comply with federal and state law.
• Writes directives advising department managers of company policy regarding equal employment opportunities, compensation, and employee benefits.
Recruitment and Hiring Support:
• Analyze and implement improved recruiting processes, including maintenance and update of job descriptions and postings
• Prepare and update new hire orientation presentations and assist with new hire orientation sessions
• Analyze and improve employee benefits programs including medical, life and disability insurance, and retirement
• Manage broker relationships, annual benefits review, benefits package renewals and open-enrollment HR Systems
• Create systems for employee education on benefits; provide and produce appropriate paperwork for benefits enrollment, termination and changes; conduct periodic benefits training sessions with employees
Performance Reviews and Talent Retention:
• Lead the implementation process of LEDC’s performance review
• Create a data base of LEDC professional development opportunities for staff to take advantage of LEDC’s generous professional development funds to further their professional growth at LEDC
• Identify external training that would be helpful for emerging leaders within LEDC (technical or management training)
• Enact programs and practices that engage, inspire, and recognize staff in partnership with leadership
Record Maintenance and Procedural Upkeep:
• Oversees the analysis, maintenance, and communication of records required by law or local governing bodies, or other departments in the organization.
• Keep files updated to include initial offer letters, performance reviews, performance improvement plans, and/or documentation of salary increases
• Review and update Employee Handbook to ensure that it reflects legal requirements and best practices in the field. Also ensure that Employee Handbook reflects needed updates for changing times (e.g. social media, etc.)
• Evaluate and further develop systems for tracking absences, sick leave, terminations, extending job offers, setting salary structures, and maximizing retention of high –performing employees.
• Analyzes wage and salary reports and data to determine competitive compensation plan
• Prepares personnel forecast to project employment needs
• Oversees Timesheet accuracy
• Entering data into databases and spreadsheets
• Making adjustments in pay for raises, bonuses and commission
Customer Service Qualities:
• Ability to maintain highest level of confidentiality, impartiality, and objective judgment in interactions with people
• Capacity to build trust across all levels of the organization
• Possessing tact and diplomacy at a professional level to deal with sensitive information and issues
• Good negotiation and interpersonal skills with demonstrated customer services commitment
• Maintains an open-door policy and accessible manner
• Other relevant duties that will arise as assigned by leadership
• Strong time management skills with ability to plan, coordinate, organize, prioritize, and simultaneously implement multiple projects.
• Ability to speak, write and read in English and Spanish
• At least 5 years of previous Human Resources experience
• Proficiency in MS Office suite (Excel, Word, Outlook and PowerPoint)
• Knowledge of Insperity or similar payroll platforms
• Demonstrated organizational and problem-solving skills as well as outstanding verbal and written communication skills
• Experience handling confidential information with high level of discretion
• A HIGH level of motivation, initiative and attention to detail demonstrated by the proactive inclination to take on projects without being asked.
• A friendly, collegial personality with compulsive integrity and a well-conditioned sense of humor
• Interest in and commitment to LEDC’s mission of working with low income, immigrant community
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Basic math skills for addition, subtraction, division, multiplication
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
• Salary range is $90,000- $105,000
• Exempt position
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Emi Reyes at [email protected]
LEDC is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. In accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, LEDC takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. LEDC also participates in E-Verify.