Latino Economic Development Center
The Latino Economic Development Center (LEDC) is a non-profit, tax-exempt community development organization founded in 1991. LEDC’s mission is to drive the economic and social advancement of low- to moderate-income Latinos and other D.C. area residents by equipping them with the skills and tools to achieve financial independence and become leaders in their communities. We achieve our mission through small business development and lending, homeownership counseling and affordable housing preservation.
LEDC is hiring for several Bilingual Eviction Prevention Canvassers to conduct in-person outreach to tenants facing eviction in Washington, D.C. These are temporary, contract positions scheduled through December of 2023, with the possibility of an extension in 2024. We are looking for canvassers who are available to canvass around 5-10 hours / week. The position has a flexible schedule but requires some evening and weekend availability.
- Fluent in Spanish or Amharic
- Proficient in English
- Availability on some weekends and weekday afternoon / evenings (4-8pm)
- Comfortable with in-person outreach, door knocking
- Comfortable traveling and conducting outreach to all neighborhoods in DC (a car is not necessary, but in that case, comfort using public transportation is necessary)
- Ability to explain tenant rights and options in the eviction process (good at explaining rights and options in a legal process, subject-specific training will be provided)
- Outgoing, good at speaking to people you’ve never met
- Being friendly, engaging and kind
- Passionate about supporting tenants in staying in their home, stopping eviction and displacement
- Access to cell phone
- Experience with data entry, typing, and programs such as Microsoft Office and Excel
- Previous knowledge and experience with tenant rights or organizing
- Outreach or canvassing experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
The position will be supervised by the Eviction Prevention Project Coordinator, with support from the Affordable Housing Preservation Program Manager.
This is a Contract position through December of 2023, with the possibility of extension. The pay is $25/hour, with a flexible schedule of about 15 hours/week. Some support with transportation costs will be provided, as well as any equipment beyond a cellphone.
Interested candidates should email [email protected] and send a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include why you’re interested in the position, what relevant experience and qualifications you have, and anything else you’d like to share.
LEDC is an EEO employer committed to providing equal employment opportunities to all applicants and employees. In accordance with applicable laws, regulations, and Executive Orders, LEDC takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants and employees covered are not discriminated against because of their race, color, religion, national origin, sex (gender), age, disability, pregnancy, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, gender identity or expression, family responsibilities, political affiliation, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic that is protected by applicable law. For more information about your equal employment opportunity rights, please view this poster: EEO is the Law. LEDC also participates in E-Verify.