Small Business Coach & Liaison (Wheaton, MD)
The Latino Economic Development Corporation (LEDC) is seeking candidates for the Small Business Coach & Liaison position in Wheaton, Maryland. This full-time position will work alongside the existing Coach and Liaison and play a key role in providing business one-on-one technical assistance as well as liaison services between Wheaton businesses and Montgomery County as Wheaton heads into a large-scale redevelopment project. This position will support the Program Manager of Small Business Development and will work alongside a highly motivated team of small business service staff. Ideal candidates will possess a diverse set of skills including fluency in both English and Spanish, small business development experience, and experience with immigrant populations.
Overall, LEDC's small business services help low-to-moderate income entrepreneurs acquire the skills and knowledge to successfully open and grow their businesses, including assistance obtaining licenses and permits, marketing, recordkeeping and business planning. Our clients range from small start-ups such as cleaning or construction companies to established restaurants with multiple employees and locations. LEDC also operates a microloan fund that works in close collaboration with the small business lending team under one Department: Small Business Services.
Essential Job Duties/Responsibilities:
- Develop trust and rapport with the local small business community;
- Provide support and serve in a liaison role for small businesses in the proximate area of Wheaton's redevelopment project;
- Conduct needs assessments surveys for interested small businesses in the proximate area;
- Directly provide and/or coordinate one-on-one coaching to existing small businesses to help improve their core business skills and navigate the County assistance application process--both onsite at their business locations as well as at LEDC or partner locations;
- Work with small business owners to develop plans for maintaining operations through the construction process and for pivoting operations to respond to the new client mix that will come after the redevelopment project is complete;
- Collaborate with partners to develop marketing and promotions campaigns to maintain client flow during and after the redevelopment project;
- Recruit and manage volunteers and consultants to assist with small business consulting and trainings;
- Perform administrative tasks including intake, contact management. and data entry.
- May need to work on evenings/weekends, as needed.
Education and Experience Qualifications Required:
- Bilingual in English and Spanish
- Experience providing small business technical assistance, training, or running a small business is ideal
- Excellent communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
- Bachelor's in Business Administration or related field
- Available to work occasional nights and weekends as needed
- Experience and/or familiarity with small business financial management
- Experience and/or familiarity with small business marketing strategies
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to manage and multi-task in a fast-paced environment
- Strong technical skills including Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Publisher
- Self-starter, who is able to work with limited supervision
- Demonstrated ability to relate to people from a broad range of socio-economic backgrounds, formal education levels, cultures, etc.
- Strong knowledge of and sensitivity to Latino and immigrant cultures
- Understanding of small business development as a tool for community-based economic development
Salary is negotiable depending on experience, qualifications, and salary history. Salary range is $40-$45K.
Benefits are competitive within the DC area: compensation currently includes healthcare plan with ZERO employee contribution, 10 observed holidays, and 4 weeks of vacation per year.
Applicant must be proficient written/verbal in both English and Spanish
LEDC is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume to Marla Bilonick at email@example.com with 'cc' to Rossana Espinoza at firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls please.
DC Housing Counseling Coordinator
LEDC is a HUD-certified housing counseling agency that helps families in the DC area to buy their first home and save their homes from foreclosure. LEDC accomplishes these goals by providing first time homebuyer education and counseling, providing financial capability and credit education and counseling, providing foreclosure counseling and technical assistance.
DC Housing Counseling Coordinator will provide reception, administration, outreach and training support to the Housing Counseling Program and ensure quality service to our clients. They will be responsible for the following:
- Coordinate and schedule homebuyer, foreclosure prevention and financial capability workshops.
- Develop and oversee curriculum for courses.
- Conduct group workshops and presentations on home purchase, foreclosure prevention and financial capability.
- Conduct community outreach for housing counseling services. This includes outreach to community partners and spaces.
- Coordination, work flow, workload and quality control of the DC housing counseling program.
- Assist the Department Director with administrative, operational and technical responsibilities.
- Oversee and coordinate LEDC's lending circles program.
- Document and track data related to housing counseling services utilizing Counselor Max and other applicable tools. Provide data quality control. Utilize data to evaluate the program and counselors.
- Work with the Department Director to prepare and submit timely reports to funders on program specific housing counseling activities.
- Provide information on LEDC services and referrals to community partners.
- Provide assistance to walk-ins as needed.
- Follow up regularly and directly with clients throughout the counseling process to ensure that information is received and submitted in a timely manner and cases are tracked and documented on a regular basis.
- Document and track client contact and data related to housing counseling services utilizing Counselor Max and other applicable tools.
- Provide technical assistance related to housing counseling such as creating certificates, tracking paperwork for first-time homebuyer programs or foreclosure prevention.
- Attend trainings as needed related to housing counseling.
- Other duties as assigned to insure quantity and quality of services provided by the agency.
- Fluent in Spanish and English (spoken, written and reading)
- 4 years Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work experience.
- Experience with Adult Education methods and techniques.
- Strong knowledge of and culturally sensitive to Latino, African American, and other cultures.
- Customer-service oriented person with good people skills.
- Must have friendly, patient and professional manner.
- Energetic and detail oriented team player with a commitment to high quality housing counseling and service delivery;
- Strong computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel;
- Familiarity with databases and information tracking, a plus;
- Own transportation needed.
- Flexible work schedule, including ability to work Saturdays and some evenings.
This is a full-time, 40 hour / week position that requires Saturday hours and some evenings.
Salary Range: $39,000 + negotiable based on experience, plus full benefits package and generous vacation.
LEDC is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer.
To apply, send cover letter and resume to Walda Yon at WYon@ledcmetro.org. No phone calls please.